Tuscan White Beans
With garlic and sage
- 1 Pound Dry white beanS Like Navy
- 1 Handful Fresh sage leaves Or 2 Tablespoons dried whole-leaf sage
- 1 Head Fresh garlic Not 1 clove, use the whole head
- 3-4 Tablespoons Fruity green olive oil
- Salt To taste
- Fresh cracked pepper To taste
- Pinch of ground ginger OR baking soda To aid in digestion
- Let beans soak in cool water for 8 hours or use quick soak method on the package.
- Drain beans and place in large shallow skillet, with enough fresh water to cover them by an inch. I use my cast iron. Add sage leaves and garlic and 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil. Add pinch of ground ginger OR baking soda to help make them more digestible. You won’t taste either in the finished product. Bring to boil, then lower heat to gentle simmer.Allow beans to simmer gently for several hours until they are good and tender. Do NOT stir often and keep enough water on them to keep them covered. Shortly before they’re done, add two tablespoons salt and the Tuscan seasoning if you’re using. When the beans are soft, but not mushy, transfer to wide shallow serving bowl, drizzle with remaining olive oil and top with fresh cracked pepper.These are delicious hot or served at room temperature.