Scones from Scotland
These are almost like a glorified biscuit. They’re delicious as is, or with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Some of us like chocolate chips in ours, others don’t, so I make half without, then add some chocolate chips to finish the batter.
- 2 Cups All-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/2 Cup Butter, (1 stick)
- 1 Teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 Cup Optional! Chocolate chips, if making half the batter with those. 1 cup if making the whole batter chocolate chip.
- Set oven temperature to 425 degrees. Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk. Mix all other dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut butter into dry ingredients with a pastry cutter. Stir in buttermilk with a fork. If making all chocolate chip, add a cup here. Drop by ice cream scoop or large spoon onto greased cookie sheet. I use parchment paper to line the pan and skip the grease. Add chocolate chips to the last half of the batter if making them that way. Sprinkle liberally with additional sugar. Bake for 8-10 minutes. The ones in the photo here got a little browner than what I like, but the kids didn’t mind. I had gotten distracted with homeschool and forgot to take them out right at 8 minutes.