Hot Fudge Sundae Cake
This simple dessert makes any occassion special! Quick to put together. Staple ingredients. And oh so yum! See recipe note at the end.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons baking cocoa (plus more for later, see further down)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped nuts optional
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 3/4 cups very hot water
Ice Cream and Sundae Toppings if desired. This cake makes its own fudge sauce, so there's no need to run out for extras if you don't have sundae sauce on hand.
- Turn oven on to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour, granulated sugar, 2 Tablespoons cocoa, the baking powder, and salt in an ungreased 9X9 inch pan.
- Mix in milk, oil, and vanilla with fork until smooth.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and 1/4 cup of cocoa over batter.
- Pour the hot water over everything.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until top is dry.
Notes: I didn't have vegetable oil, so I used olive. My granulated sugar is always raw and course. I almost always use Dutch Process baking cocoa. I just wanted to share these with you so if your finished results look a little different, its just because we might have used variations of key ingredients. Also, in the recipe notes, some people suggest adding a little instant coffee of espresso powder to the very hot water. I added less than a teaspoon of instant coffee, but I didn't really care for that in the cake. Next time I will use just hot water. However, I wanted to share in case you'd like to try it that way. Enjoy!