The alternative name for this pie should be, The Pie Everyone Will Want to Recipe For. Dense, chocolatel-y, not too sweet but totally dessert, and even healthy-ish. The filling is more sturdy than a pudding or mousse pie and holds up well at a potluck table. Even those who resist "healthy" will fall for this delectable dessert!
- 1 8-inch Chocolate cookie crust or crust of your choice* see note
- 1 12 oz. bag high quality semi-sweet chocolate chips Enjoy Life
- 1 cup sweet potato cooked and mashed
- 3/4 cup oat milk, or milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract*
- 1 Tablespoon instant coffe granules* optional
- 1/4 cup raw sugar OR
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 8 oz whipped topping OR
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1. Cook and mash sweet potato. (I often bake extra sweet potatoes during our frequent family baked potato nights to have on hand for treats like this.)2. Carefully melt chocolate chips and milk together, either in a double boiler or in 30-60 second intervals in the microwave. 3. Place sweet potato, melted chocolate chips and milk mixture, sugar OR maple syrup, vanilla, and instant coffee granules if using into a food processor. 4. Process until smooth and creamy.5. Pour into crust and chill for at least 2 hours.6. Top with coconut cream or whipped cream. You can add chocolate shavings or fresh fruit.
*I used a bought chocolate cookie crust for one pie and a bought graham cracker crust for the second pie. They were both excellent. You could also used a bought or homemade pastry crust. *Instead of vanilla extract and instant coffee granules, you could use mint extract, or anything else that pairs well with chocolate.