Hippie Meat(less) Loaf
Whole foods, veggies, chickpeas, all packed into a meatless version of your favorite comfort food, meatloaf. This recipe is from the cookbook, Plant Pure Nation, under the name "Beanie Veggie Loaf." I seldom make it as written. I will share the recipe and some ideas for adaptation. It is a little involved for me, but you won't regret making it and the leftovers make delicious meat(less) loaf sandwiches!
- 1/2 cup all-natural ketchup no high fructose corn syrup
- 2 Tablespoons molasses
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup water I use a little less
- 3 Tablespoon flax meal mixed with 1/2 cup water
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bell pepper, any color
- 1/4 + cup vegetable stock more as needed
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup dry oats
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped OR sunflower seeds
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce* OR soy sauce or tamari, or coconut aminos
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt, optional
- Mix topping ingredients and set aside, adding the water a little at a time until desired consistency.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine flax meal with 1/2 cup water. Let stand while preparing remaining ingredients. I like to shred the carrots through the food processor, but you can also grate on a grater. Set the carrots aside. After shredding carrots and setting aside, I switch the food processor to the blade and finely mince the onions, peppers, celery, and garlic individually, but you can also just finely chop these as well.Saute onions, celery, peppers, and garlic over medium-high heat, using the vegetable stock to keep from sticking to the pan. Add more vegetable stock as needed to keep from sticking. Cook until tender. (About 7 minutes.)Mash the chickpeas in a large bowl. I run the chickpeas through the food processor, too, pulsing until coarsely mashed. Mix all the ingredients into a large bowl, the carrots, the flax/water mixture, the sautéed vegetables, the chickpeas, the carrots, the walnuts OR sunflower seeds, and the seasonings. Mix well, adding more vegetable stock if needed to have a meatloaf consistency. Spoon into prepared loaf pan and press down firmly with hands or spatula. Pour topping over loaf. Bake for 35-45 minutes. Let stand 20 minutes before serving. This helps is set up more like meatloaf.