Southwest Casserole (Vegetarian Option)
A delicious taco comfort casserole the whole family will love.
- 1 pound ground beef, (for vegetarian, use a can of drained black beans or 2 cups cooked lentils)
- 1 pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 16 oz box farfele, cooked to package instructions***
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup whole kernel corn OR 1 14oz can drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, optional
- 1 Tablespoon Taco seasoning (I use homemade)
- 2 or more cups shredded cheese
If eating right away, preheat oven to 350 degrees. This is also a good “make-ahead” casserole so if you’re doing that, of course skip the preheating. Fry ground beef with onion and pepper. If making vegetarian version, sauté pepper and onion and mix with drained black beans or cooked lentils. Cook farfale according to package instructions.*OR, in place of the pasta, cook 1 1/2 cups dry rice to package instructions and use that instead. Once beef or beans are prepared with peppers and onions, mix with pasta or rice, whichever you’re using, and add corn, drained tomatoes, and seasonings. Place into a 9X13 baking dish and top with cheese.Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or put into refrigerator or freezer to eat later. If baking from cold state, bake and additional 15 minutes or until warmed through.